This vegan lemon ricotta pasta is creamy, flavourful, and very high in protein, thanks to tofu and tahini! It’s a budget-friendly, summery recipe that you and your family will go wild for.
It’s honestly hard to believe that August is over halfway through! I have so many summer recipes to share over the next month, so be prepared for a deluge. 😉 I have to admit that I’m looking forward to shifting my focus towards autumnal recipes. Baked goods, soups, stews, roasted vegetables, and pumpkin spice are a few of my favourite things. And on top of that, I find food photography much easier in the fall when the light is softer and less intense. I’ve actually been really unhappy with how my food photography has been looking recently because by the time I’m able to photograph most of my creations, the sun is at a less than ideal angle. But alas, we still have just over a month left of summer, so we might as well make the most of it. In that vein, today, I’m sharing a summery pasta recipe that I think you will really love.
I have always been a big fan of creamy, flavourful pasta sauces, and this vegan lemon ricotta sauce has to be one of my favourites yet! It has fresh yet bold flavours from a combination of lemon, garlic, and tahini, and the tofu base gives it a ton of protein and satisfaction factor. It’s also very easy to whip up and budget-friendly- there aren’t any cashews in this creamy vegan sauce!
I love topping the pasta bowls with sautéed or roasted summer vegetables, such as zucchini or tomatoes, as well as fresh herbs and a sprinkle of cashew hemp parmesan. If you are making this pasta in the fall or winter, I think that a combination of roasted squash and crispy kale would be marvellous!
lemon ricotta pasta ingredients
- For the ricotta: Firm tofu, lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, tahini, light miso or tamari, sea salt, garlic, basil, oregano, and water.
- For the sautéed summer vegetables: Extra virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, ,salt and pepper, zucchini, and tomatoes.
- For serving: Pasta, cashew hemp parmesan, and fresh herbs.
step by step instructions
- Make the ricotta: In a food processor, blend the crumbled tofu, lemon juice, dijon, nutritional yeast, tahini, miso, salt, garlic, herbs, and water until smooth.
- Prepare the sautéed vegetables: In a large skillet, cook the onion and garlic. Add salt, pepper, and zucchini and cook just until tender. Finally, add the tomatoes and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and top with a few spoonfuls of the ricotta, followed by the sautéed vegetables, cashew hemp parmesan, and herbs.
serving and menu ideas
- Serve this pasta with a side of kale salad and perhaps some garlic toast!
- Don’t limit yourself to serving the ricotta on pasta only. It’s divine on a sandwich with juicy tomato, olives, and greens. It’s also nice dolloped on top of salad, bean bowls, and pizza.
more delicious pasta recipes
- Vegan Basil Pesto Cashew Alfredo
- Lentil Walnut Bolognese
- Vegan Avocado Pasta with Parmesan-Roasted Chickpeas
I hope you LOVE this vegan lemon ricotta pasta as much as I do! If you make it, leave a comment and rating below to let me know how you enjoyed it, and if you share a photo of this pasta dish on Instagram, tag @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen so that I can feature it.
This vegan lemon ricotta pasta is creamy, flavourful, and very high in protein, thanks to tofu and tahini! It’s a budget-friendly, summery recipe that your family will go wild for.
Lemon Tofu Ricotta
- 1 block (450 grams) organic firm tofu
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 large lemons)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tbsp mellow white miso or reduced sodium tamari
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash, sliced into half moons
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 5 cups dry pasta of choice (rotini, fusilli, penne) or 4-5 servings of spaghetti or linguine
- Cashew Hemp Parmesan
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Make the ricotta: Roughly crumble the tofu into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Add the lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, tahini, miso, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, and water. Process until smooth and creamy. Add a little bit more water, if desired. You’re looking for the texture of ricotta cheese rather than a pourable sauce, though.
- Make the sautéed vegetables: Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook just until tender, not soggy. Add the tomatoes and cook just until the tomato skins have wilted slightly. Season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- To serve, divide the pasta between bowls and top with a few generous dollops of the ricotta, followed by sautéed vegetables, herbs, and parmesan.
Leftover ricotta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week.
It may seem like a lot of lemon juice, but I find ½ cup to be the perfect amount to give this ricotta a flavourful punch. Feel free to reduce the amount of lemon and increase the amount to water if you like a mellower flavour.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Supper, Lunch
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan ricotta, vegan lemon ricotta pasta, tofu ricotta recipe
Would you like to save this recipe to one of your Pinterest boards for later? Pin this: