This vegan lemon ricotta pasta is creamy, flavourful, and very high in protein, thanks to tofu and tahini! It’s a budget-friendly, summery recipe that your family will go wild for.
Lemon Tofu Ricotta
- 1 block (450 grams) organic firm tofu
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 large lemons)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp mellow white miso or reduced sodium tamari
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash, sliced into half moons
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 5 cups dry pasta of choice (rotini, fusilli, penne) or 4-5 servings of spaghetti or linguine
- Cashew Hemp Parmesan
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Make the ricotta: Roughly crumble the tofu into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Add the lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, tahini, miso, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, and water. Process until smooth and creamy. Add a little bit more water, if desired. You’re looking for the texture of ricotta cheese rather than a pourable sauce, though.
- Make the sautéed vegetables: Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook just until tender, not soggy. Add the tomatoes and cook just until the tomato skins have wilted slightly. Season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- To serve, divide the pasta between bowls and top with a few generous dollops of the ricotta, followed by sautéed vegetables, herbs, and parmesan.
Leftover ricotta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week.
It may seem like a lot of lemon juice, but I find 1/2 cup to be the perfect amount to give this ricotta a flavourful punch. Feel free to reduce the amount of lemon and increase the amount to water if you like a mellower flavour.
- Category: Supper, Lunch
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan ricotta, vegan lemon ricotta pasta, tofu ricotta recipe