This vegan avocado pasta with parmesan-roasted chickpeas consists of a creamy sauce made with avocado, lots of lemon, garlic, and herbs, and chickpeas that are roasted and tossed with cashew parmesan. You’ll love this comforting yet seasonal pasta dish!
My heart is heavy with grief, sadness, and shock over the events that unfolded in Nova Scotia on Saturday and Sunday. I can’t even begin to wrap my head around what went on and my heart goes out to all affected by this senseless and incomprehensible tragedy. In times like these, I feel at a loss for words, and it’s quite challenging to just go on writing blog posts in my typical happy-go-lucky style. All throughout the day on Sunday, I felt sick to my stomach and deeply sad that such a thing could happen, especially in such a safe, quiet, and peaceful part of the country.
I don’t know how to appropriately preface this recipe; indeed, I do not feel it is appropriate, given the circumstances, to attempt to lighten the mood here in any way. All that I will say is that in times of grief or despair, it can be cathartic to gather around the table with loved ones over a meal. Hopefully today I can be of service by sharing a recipe that is nourishing and soothing to those experiencing grief and sadness. Because even though you might not feel much like eating, we must continue to nourish our bodies and souls in times like these.
This vegan avocado pasta is creamy, tangy, and garlicky. It’s full of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, and the crispy parmesan chickpea topping adds a boost of protein and textural contrast. It’s a great meal for weeknights, given how quickly it can be thrown together. It has quickly become my dad’s favourite pasta recipe, one that he requests every week.
to make this vegan avocado pasta, you’ll:
- Make cashew parmesan.
- Roast some chickpeas with olive oil, salt, and pepper. In the final few minutes, add some cashew parmesan.
- Whip up the avocado sauce by blending together avocados, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, nutritional yeast, and olive oil in a food processor until smooth.
- Cook some pasta.
- Either stir the avocado sauce directly into the pasta, or spoon the sauce onto individual portions. I prefer the latter method, since I find that the pasta absorbs the sauce quite quickly, though I photographed using the former method. Top with the parmesan-roasted chickpeas!
I hope that you enjoy this vegan avocado pasta, and that it provides some comfort in these heart-wrenching times. Let me know how you enjoyed it in the comments, and tag @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen if you post a photo to Instagram.Print
This vegan avocado pasta with parmesan-roasted chickpeas comprises a creamy sauce made with avocado, lots of lemon, garlic, and herbs, and chickpeas that are roasted and tossed with cashew parmesan. You’ll love this comforting yet seasonal pasta dish!
Cashew Parmesan-Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp cashew parmesan (use this recipe, but swap out the sunflower seeds for cashews)
Avocado Pasta Sauce
- 2 medium-large ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2–3 lemons)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Big handful fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp water
4 cups uncooked pasta
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the 3 tbsp of cashew parmesan, and roast 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, scoop out the avocado flesh and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, olive oil, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, and water. Process until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula as needed.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package and drain.
- Either add the avocado sauce to the cooked pasta and toss to coat, or spoon the avocado sauce over individual portions right before serving. I prefer the latter method, as I find the pasta soaks up the avocado sauce quite readily!
- Top each bowl with roasted chickpeas and add additional cashew parmesan and fresh parsley, if desired.
- Category: Supper
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: vegan avocado pasta sauce