This vegan almond butter banana porridge is creamy, sweet, and nourishing. It’s a wonderful way to start your day!
Here’s a fun fact: For the first five years of my life, I ate porridge with brown sugar and yogurt at least once a day. Often for supper. Ask my parents and brother: I’m not making this up. It’s almost shocking that this website isn’t just a collection of porridge and peanut butter sandwich recipes, ha! 😉 And while I’ve long since outgrown my picky eating habits, my love of a humble bowl of porridge remains.
This vegan almond butter banana porridge is simple, to be sure, and there are no doubt hundreds of similar recipes on the internet. But I still think it’s share-worthy, perhaps because of its simplicity. With all that’s going on in the world right now, a warm, comforting bowl of oats could be just what the doctor ordered.
almond butter banana porridge features
- Great source of fibre: Okay, most of us know that rolled oats are an excellent source of fibre. But perhaps less well known is the fact that they are high in beta glucan, a form of soluble fibre that reduces “bad” cholesterol and strengthens the immune system!
- Budget-friendly: Oats, bananas, cinnamon, and non-dairy milk are affordable, and if you can’t justify buying almond butter, you can use peanut butter instead.
- Comforting: You really can’t beat the comfort that a bowl of warm oatmeal provides.
ingredients you need
- Rolled oats, banana, non-dairy milk, almond butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt!
How to make this porridge
Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Then turn down heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes. You can add more milk depending on how thick you like your porridge.
I topped my bowl with the other half of banana and somme cacao nibs, but that didn’t feel like enough to me, so I added some of my Chocolate Almond Butter Granola and some frozen wild blueberries. You can also top it with chopped almonds, hemp hearts, strawberries… the sky is the limit!
more vegan oatmeal recipes
I also wanted to mention that I am now including nutritional information with my recipes. I am not a believer in counting calories or tracking nutrients, but I know that many readers find this information helpful. So, if you love having that information, it’s there for you. You can find it right below the recipe card. 🙂
Well, I hope you enjoy this vegan almond butter banana porridge for breakfast soon! If you make it, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below the post, and be sure to tag your Instagram photos @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I love sharing your re-creations in Instagram stories. Enjoy!Print
Easy and nourishing vegan porridge recipe with almond butter, banana, and cinnamon.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ½ a ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Optional: 1-2 teaspoon pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Add all of the ingredients except the vanilla to a small/medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; then turn down heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the porridge thickens and the oats are tender, about 10 minutes. Taste and if you want more sweetness, add 1-2 teaspoon of maple syrup or coconut sugar. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Top with sliced banana, berries, cacao nibs, hemp, granola, etc.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: almond butter banana porridge, vegan banana porridge