This vegan cashew butter cardamom hot chocolate is healthy, cozy, and sweetened with maple syrup. Enjoy a steaming mug with a good book for a true hygge treat!
Good morning, everyone, and happy Friday! It’s been quite some time since I’ve shared a warm drink recipe, but I tend to create new ones on a fairly regular basis in the cold months. I’ll probably be posting at least one a month throughout the winter.
This cashew butter cardamom hot chocolate is one way to elevate your hot chocolate game! There’s absolutely no need to buy hot chocolate mix once you get into the habit of making luxurious versions from scratch. This particular recipe is so simple; all you need to make it is non-dairy milk, cashew butter, cocoa, maple syrup, cinnamon, and cardamom. Cocoa and cardamom are a match made in heaven, and if you haven’t tried it yet, you’re in for a pleasant surprise. It’s also common in Scandinavian baking, which fits quite well with the hygge vibe of this hot chocolate.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Non-dairy milk of choice, cocoa, maple syrup, cashew butter (or any other nut butter you enjoy), ground cinnamon, and ground cardamom. You can also add a teaspoon of maca, a tiny bit of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt to make it ultra fancy. You’ll see in the photo that I actually used a tablespoon of my hot fudge sauce instead of the cocoa and maple syrup, but I don’t expect you to necessarily have that on hand, and I have made it with cocoa and maple syrup on many occasions, too.
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once warm to your liking, either serve immediately, or pour into an upright blender and whirl for a few seconds to make it nice and frothy.
MORE COZY DRINK RECIPES
- Cashew Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy-Free)
- Vegan Dirty Chai Latte with Coconut Butter
- Vegan Raspberry Hot Chocolate
I hope that you love this cashew butter cardamom hot chocolate! It’s certainly helped get me through some monotonous afternoons of studying throughout the fall months. If you make it, let me know how you enjoyed it by leaving a comment and rating below the post. And if you share a photo to Instagram, tag it @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen.
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter (or any other nut/seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or 1 pitted Medjool date)
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: 1 teaspoon maca, a pinch of salt, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until heated to your liking.
- If desired, pour into an upright blender and blend for 15 seconds so that it becomes frothy.
- Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy.
If you have any hot fudge sauce on hand, you can use that instead of the maple syrup and cocoa.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Drinks, Dessert
Keywords: vegan cashew butter cardamom hot chocolate