These Barbecue Tempeh Tacos with mango salsa, pickled radishes, and avocado are simple, speedy, and high in protein!
Among modern (hu)man’s most widely loved food groups, tacos must rank high on the list. I have yet to meet a single person who doesn’t like them! These vegan barbecue tempeh tacos with fresh mango salsa, pickled radishes, and avocado are simple, high in protein, and have this savoury-salty-tangy-sweet flavour combination that everyone goes wild for. You might not be able to get out to your favourite taqueria, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t make delicious vegan tacos at home!
These tacos are easy to make and high in protein. They’re also pretty budget-friendly, since they don’t require any nuts or exotic/difficult to find ingredients!
ingredients you’ll need
- For the barbecue tempeh: Olive oil, onion, garlic, tempeh, Dijon mustard, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and barbecue sauce.
- For the mango salsa: Mango, red bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- For the pickled radishes: Radishes, water, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt.
- For serving: Corn or flour tortillas, and avocado. I also served a simple cabbage slaw as a side vegetable, but this is optional.
step by step instructions
- Prepare the barbecue tempeh: Warm the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Chop up the tempeh and add it to the skillet. Whisk the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and barbecue sauce together in a small bowl before adding it to the skillet, too.
2. Prepare the pickled radishes: Place sliced radishes in a 16-oz jar. Bring water, apple cider vinegar, salt, and maple syrup to a boil in a small saucepan. Pour over the sliced radishes.
3. Prepare the mango cilantro salsa: Combine the diced mango, red pepper, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a bowl.
4. Assemble the tacos: Add desired amounts of tempeh, mango cilantro salsa, pickled radishes, and avocado to warmed tortillas and enjoy.
what if I can’t eat soy?
If you have a soy allergy, you can use 3 cups of cooked chickpeas in place of the tempeh. Make sure that the barbecue sauce and Worcestershire sauce that you use is soy-free, too.
more vegan taco recipes
- Berbere Lentil Tacos with Cilantro Lime Cashew Cream
- Gochujang Tofu Tacos
- Pulled Sweet Potato Tacos with Kale Slaw and Green Hemp Cream
I hope you love these barbecue tempeh tacos! Leave a comment and review below if you make them, and tag your Instagram photos @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I re-gram all of your delicious creations in my stories. 🙂
Barbecue Tempeh Tacos with Mango Salsa
These BBQ Tempeh Tacos with mango salsa, pickled radishes, and avocado are simple, speedy, and high in protein!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Tacos, Supper
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (I like Wizard’s Organic or Whole Foods 365 Organic)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 400–500 grams organic tempeh (2 packages), chopped into 1-inch cubes
Quick Pickled Radishes
- 1 bunch radishes (about 6), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 8–12 small corn or flour tortillas (count on 2–3 tortillas per person)
- 1–2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Make the Barbecue Tempeh: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Cook until nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Next, add the tempeh and cook for a few minutes so that it develops a nicely browned exterior. In a small dish, whisk together the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and barbecue sauce. Add the sauce to the tempeh skillet, cook a few minutes more to heat through, and remove from the heat.
- Make the Quick Pickled Radishes: Meanwhile, place the sliced radishes in a clean 16-oz glass jar. Add the apple cider vinegar, water, maple syrup, and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the radishes. They’re ready to eat after “pickling” for about 30 minutes.
- Make the Mango Salsa: Add the salsa ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Warm up the tortillas, if desired.
- To serve, place desired amount of tempeh, salsa, radishes, and avocado on each tortilla and enjoy.
I used a cabbage slaw recipe from a Moosewood Restaurant cookbook that I own. A similar recipe can be found here.
Keywords: barbecue tempeh tacos, vegan tempeh tacos