These BBQ Tempeh Tacos with mango salsa, pickled radishes, and avocado are simple, speedy, and high in protein!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (I like Wizard’s Organic or Whole Foods 365 Organic)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 400–500 grams organic tempeh (2 packages), chopped into 1-inch cubes
Quick Pickled Radishes
- 1 bunch radishes (about 6), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 8–12 small corn or flour tortillas (count on 2–3 tortillas per person)
- 1–2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Make the Barbecue Tempeh: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Cook until nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Next, add the tempeh and cook for a few minutes so that it develops a nicely browned exterior. In a small dish, whisk together the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and barbecue sauce. Add the sauce to the tempeh skillet, cook a few minutes more to heat through, and remove from the heat.
- Make the Quick Pickled Radishes: Meanwhile, place the sliced radishes in a clean 16-oz glass jar. Add the apple cider vinegar, water, maple syrup, and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the radishes. They’re ready to eat after “pickling” for about 30 minutes.
- Make the Mango Salsa: Add the salsa ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Warm up the tortillas, if desired.
- To serve, place desired amount of tempeh, salsa, radishes, and avocado on each tortilla and enjoy.
I used a cabbage slaw recipe from a Moosewood Restaurant cookbook that I own. A similar recipe can be found here.
- Category: Tacos, Supper
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: barbecue tempeh tacos, vegan tempeh tacos