This vegan spinach potato soup is creamy, hearty, and delicious: perfect for St. Patrick’s Day and the early days of spring.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Of course, St. Patrick’s Day looks a lot different than it normally would for most of us, but being forced to stay at home means that you can cook up a deliciously festive meal at home, and avoid the green beer in favour of green soup. 🙂
When my brother and I were kids, my parents pulled out all the stops one year and made a traditional Irish meal for us on St. Patrick’s Day. I don’t remember what exactly the meal included, except for a mysterious bright green soup that I most definitely turned my nose up at. Many years later, and with an appreciation for green vegetables, I thought it appropriate to create a vibrant green spinach and potato soup for St. Patrick’s Day.
This soup is simple enough to prepare, and it gets its bright green colour from RAW spinach and parsley that are blended in. The potatoes provide some heft and satisfaction factor for these still early days of spring, while the spinach and parsley infuse the soup with an array of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin K1 and iron. Lover of cayenne pepper that I am, I added ¼ of a teaspoon for heat, but if you don’t tolerate spice, start with ⅛ of a teaspoon! Depending on how thick you like your soup, you can use anywhere between 4 and 6 cups of vegetable broth. I used about 5 ½ cups of broth, which resulted in a medium thick soup. The lower amount will result in a very thick soup, and the higher amount will result in a thinner soup!
how to make a vegan spinach potato soup:
- Saute onion, garlic, and celery. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with paprika and cayenne.
- Add chopped potatoes, followed by vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender. Let the soup cool for a few minutes before ladling it into an upright blender. You’ll blend in a few batches, adding a couple handfuls of spinach and a handful of parsley to the blender as you go.
- Blend until silky smooth and transfer the soup back into the pot. Warm and serve!
That’s really all that I have to say about this soup! It’s delicious and SO perfect for a St. Patrick’s dinner in. It pairs well with wraps and sandwiches, such as my Mediterranean Lentil Veggie Wraps and my Vegan Mayo-Free Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwiches!
I hope you’re all faring well out there, wherever you are. We’ll get through this.
If you make this soup, leave a comment and rating below to let everyone know how you liked it. Also, share a photo to Instagram and tag me @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I love seeing your delicious recreations. 🙂Print
A delicious and simple bright green vegan spinach and potato soup!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 5 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- Couple pinches of fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 5 cups chopped (scrubbed, unpeeled) yellow potatoes (from 7 small/medium potatoes)
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 4 packed cups spinach
- 1 packed cup parsley
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Warm the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery and cook 3 minutes more. Add another pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, followed by the vegetable broth. Use 4 cups if you like a thicker soup, and 5-6 cups if you like a thinner soup. You can always add more broth later.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to medium. Loosely cover the pot and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Let the soup cool slightly before blending.
- You’ll have to blend the soup in two batches. Place half of the soup in an upright blender, along with half of the spinach and parsley. Blend until silky smooth and creamy and pour into a bowl while you puree the second half of the soup with the remaining spinach and parsley.
- Once all of the soup is pureed, pour it back into the pot, add the lemon, and warm it back up slightly before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan spinach potato soup, healthy spinach potato soup, vegan st. patrick’s day recipes