These vegan curried chickpea salad sandwiches are made with a combination of yogurt and tahini for creaminess, in place of mayonnaise. This is a more nutritious, super flavourful, and very healthy vegan lunch idea!
Finally, a mayo-free vegan curried chickpea salad sandwich that takes its cues from the fall harvest. Celery, apple, dried cranberries or raisins, onion, and chickpeas are tossed with a curried yogurt tahini dressing in this vegan version of egg salad.
When I made this vegan curried chickpea salad for lunch a few weeks ago, I devoured it with an intensity that I typically reserve only for my athletic pursuits. My poor lunch companions gazed at me with what can only be described as a combination of bewilderment and awe.
I’ve been on a sandwich kick lately: hummus and avocado has been my go-to at work, and I’ve been enjoying my fair share of grilled cheese and tempeh reubens at home. I think it’s important to honour your cravings, and the cooler temperatures definitely call for more grounding carbs in the form of cooked whole grains, root vegetables, and, of course, good quality bread.
When I decided to make this chickpea salad sandwich, I didn’t want to use mayonnaise. I recalled the egg salad sandwiches that my mom used to make for us when we were kids, and the yogurt dressing she made in place of mayo. That’s what I used as my inspiration for the dressing on this chickpea salad. Yogurt and tahini combine to create a creamy, crave-worthy substitution for mayonnaise. You can use your favourite dairy-free yogurt, or for a vegetarian option, organic dairy yogurt.
How to make this sandwich:
Start by mashing 2 cups of cooked chickpeas with a fork or potato masher. Add 2 stalks of celery, half of a chopped apple, plus a small amount of chopped red onion and dried cranberries or raisins.
In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, tamari, curry powder, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Add the dressing to the chickpea mixture and stir.
Next, slice some pickles and get some lettuce or baby greens out of the fridge.
Make sure that you have some good quality bread on hand. I used cranberry walnut sourdough.
Make the sandwiches by scooping desired amount of curried chickpea salad onto a slice of bread and top with pickles and lettuce.
I hope you love this vegan curried chickpea salad sandwich recipe! If you’re craving sandwiches as much as I am at the moment, check out these other recipes:
I think that the curried chickpea salad sandwich would pair really nicely with soup, such as my Roasted Cauliflower, Fennel, and Apple Soup!
Vegan Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich
A mayo-free vegan curried chickpea salad sandwich made with a yogurt tahini dressing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 3 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch, Sandwich
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 a medium apple, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely minced red onion
- 2 1/2 tbsp dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup yogurt (coconut, soy, almond, etc., or organic cow, goat, or sheep yogurt for vegetarian option)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices of sourdough or sprouted grain bread
- 3 lacto fermented pickles (such as Bubbies)
- Lettuce or baby greens
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas using a fork, potato masher, or pastry blender.
- Add the celery, apple, red onion, and dried cranberries or raisins.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together the yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, tamari, curry, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the yogurt dressing to the chickpea mixture and stir to incorporate.
- To make the sandwiches, toast bread if desired, and divide the chickpea salad between three slices of bread. Slice the pickles and place on top, followed by the lettuce or greens and final slice of bread. Cut in half and enjoy immediately.
You can also serve this chickpea salad on lettuce leaves for a grain-free option.
Keywords: curried chickpea salad sandwich, vegan chickpea salad sandwich, mayo free chickpea salad, vegan sandwich