This southwestern lentil, kale, and butternut squash soup is chock full of fibre, protein, and spice. Serve it with avocado toast for a quick and easy meal.
How was your weekend? Did you get up to anything fun? Say hi in the comments and share something you enjoyed! I’m about to eat this red lentil curry by Pinch of Yum!
My weekend was terribly uneventful. I’m still trying to get over the flu, so I’ve been resting a lot more than usual, going on walks, and generally overthinking my life (but what else is new on that front, ha ha?). I haven’t been super interested in cooking or creatively inspired, but don’t fear: I have lots of recipes left to share before I shift to creating spring recipes. Recipes like this soup, for instance!
I created this southwestern lentil, kale, and butternut squash soup a few months ago when the craving for something warm, smoky, and satisfying struck. Soup paired with bread and cheese or avocado is often my answer when we need a stick-to-your-ribs meal fast, and this creation of mine was a big hit with the fam jam!
This soup has a southwestern flavour profile, but the lentils are a nice departure from the black beans you would normally find in a southwestern soup. There are also crimini mushrooms in here, which provide a bit of depth and meatiness. And the spices! I think you’ll fall in love with the flavour profile of this soup thanks to the cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, coriander, and cayenne.
to make this soup, you’ll:
- Saute onions and garlic in some oil. Add quartered mushrooms, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne, butternut squash, lentils, and tomato paste.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a low boil. Simmer over medium heat until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. Add chopped kale and cook just until wilted. Add the lime juice and serve soup topped with fresh cilantro.
As I mentioned earlier, this soup pairs very well with avocado toast or simple bread and cheese.
I hope you love it! If you make it, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below, and share a photo to Instagram and tag @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen!
Southwestern Lentil, Kale, and Butternut Squash Soup
A hearty southwestern lentil soup with kale, mushrooms, and butternut squash.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped into quarters or eighths depending on their size
- A couple pinches fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup black (beluga) lentils or French green lentils
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch lacinato or green kale, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for five minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Cook for 3 minutes, until the mushrooms have shrunk somewhat.
- Add the butternut squash, lentils, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes more.
- Pour the vegetable broth over top of the vegetables and turn up heat to medium-high. Once the soup is boiling, turn down heat to medium loosely cover with the lid. Simmer for 25 minutes, until squash and lentils are tender.
- Stir in the kale and cook just until wilted. Remove from heat and add the lime juice. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.
Keywords: vegan lentil vegetable soup, lentil squash kale soup recipe, vegan lentil soup recipe, southwestern lentil soup recipe