A hearty southwestern lentil soup with kale, mushrooms, and butternut squash.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped into quarters or eighths depending on their size
- A couple pinches fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup black (beluga) lentils or French green lentils
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch lacinato or green kale, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for five minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Cook for 3 minutes, until the mushrooms have shrunk somewhat.
- Add the butternut squash, lentils, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes more.
- Pour the vegetable broth over top of the vegetables and turn up heat to medium-high. Once the soup is boiling, turn down heat to medium loosely cover with the lid. Simmer for 25 minutes, until squash and lentils are tender.
- Stir in the kale and cook just until wilted. Remove from heat and add the lime juice. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan lentil vegetable soup, lentil squash kale soup recipe, vegan lentil soup recipe, southwestern lentil soup recipe