If you enjoy cream of broccoli soup, you’ll love this vegan creamy broccoli white bean soup. Pureed white beans stand in for the heavy cream traditionally used in cream of broccoli soup, adding protein and fibre as well.
Taking a break from pumpkin programming to deliver this soup recipe! If it’s chilly where you live, this will warm you right up. 🙂
We’ve been eating our fair share of soups around here lately, and this creamy broccoli white bean soup is one of our favourites! If you have only ever eaten dairy-laden cream of broccoli soups, I encourage you to give this vegan version a try. Pureed white beans replace the heavy cream with a very similar effect, and the result is a soup with a creamy consistency and a solid amount of protein and fibre along with plenty of green broccoli goodness and warming spices. Nutritional yeast is stirred in at the end for a subtle “cheesy” undertone, and it’s all topped off with toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil. It’s all very cozy and flavourful, and it’ll warm you from the inside out.
how to make creamy vegan broccoli soup
To make this soup, you’ll start by lightly sauteing onion, leek, garlic, celery, salt, pepper, cayenne, and smoked paprika. Next, you’ll add one diced sweet potato, 1 ½ cups of cooked white beans, and 7 cups of vegetable broth. Bring it to a low boil and then simmer until the sweet potato is cooked. The broccoli gets added at the very end of cooking because you don’t have to cook the heck out of broccoli. You want it to retain its lovely bright green hue, so cook it only until it is bright green and just tender. Then remove from the heat and blend in batches until smooth. Return to the pot, add nutritional yeast and a glug of apple cider vinegar to balance the flavours, and heat to your desired warmth.
To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle on some toasted pumpkin seeds and drizzle with cold-pressed olive oil.
what to serve with creamy vegan broccoli soup
This soup pairs beautifully with any sandwich or salad. Try it with my curried chickpea sandwich or my warm roasted sweet potato, cauliflower, and buckwheat salad. Or, serve it with homemade cornbread or some nice sourdough bread and cheese. We served it with homemade focaccia bread!
More soup recipes!
Hope everyone has a lovely start to the weekend. I’ll be back on Sunday with another cozy drink recipe plus a recipe roundup.
This creamy broccoli soup gets its creaminess from white beans instead of dairy. The smoky flavour of smoked paprika and cheesy notes from nutritional yeast combine into a delicious and warming vegan soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, rinsed well and sliced
- 5 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked white beans
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch of broccoli, chopped into florets
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Cold-pressed olive oil, for garnish
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, then add the celery, salt, pepper, cayenne, and smoked paprika. Saute 2 minutes more.
- Add the sweet potato, cooked white beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil, then turn down heat to medium and cover with the pot lid, leaving some space for steam to escape. Cook until sweet potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the soup and cook just until bright green, about five minutes.
- Next, blend the soup in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your blender. Transfer the blended soup back to the pot and stir in the nutritional yeast and apple cider vinegar. Warm over medium heat until steaming hot.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil.
Transfer leftover soup to a glass jar and refrigerate for up to five days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, vegan cream of broccoli soup, creamy broccoli soup, dairy free broccoli soup, white bean broccoli soup, cheesy vegan broccoli soup