This creamy broccoli soup gets its creaminess from white beans instead of dairy. The smoky flavour of smoked paprika and cheesy notes from nutritional yeast combine into a delicious and warming vegan soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, rinsed well and sliced
- 5 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Cold-pressed olive oil, for garnish
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, then add the celery, salt, pepper, cayenne, and smoked paprika. Saute 2 minutes more.
- Add the sweet potato, cooked white beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil, then turn down heat to medium and cover with the pot lid, leaving some space for steam to escape. Cook until sweet potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the soup and cook just until bright green, about five minutes.
- Next, blend the soup in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your blender. Transfer the blended soup back to the pot and stir in the nutritional yeast and apple cider vinegar. Warm over medium heat until steaming hot.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil.
Transfer leftover soup to a glass jar and refrigerate for up to five days.
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, vegan cream of broccoli soup, creamy broccoli soup, dairy free broccoli soup, white bean broccoli soup, cheesy vegan broccoli soup