This Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Rice is arguably better than pasta! Short-grain brown rice, sauteed onions, garlic, and kale is smothered in the most dreamy vegan pumpkin alfredo sauce. The resulting dish is the stuff of cozy dinner dreams.
Well, we just had a record-breaking November snowfall here in O-Town. And now that Ottawa is covered in a blanket of snow, I’m cozying up under a blanket and eating bowls of this pumpkin alfredo rice. If you want to join me in this favourite winter activity, read on!
Initially, I planned to use my pumpkin alfredo sauce in a pasta dish. But then I saw a beautiful jar of short-grain brown rice in my pantry, and things took a sharp turn into creamy alfredo rice land.
This vegan pumpkin alfredo rice reminds me of a risotto in texture, but it doesn’t require any vigorous stirring. It’s creamy, comforting, and packed with complex carbs and healthy fat, too! While the cashews in the alfredo sauce provide some protein, I like to serve this with baked tofu or tempeh. You can also mix some cooked beans or lentils into the dish for an extra boost.
If you have already made the pumpkin alfredo sauce, this recipe is a cinch. It’s the perfect weeknight meal! All you do is cook some short-grain brown rice. While the rice is cooking, saute some onion, garlic, and kale. Once the rice is ready, stir in the vegetables and some warmed-up pumpkin alfredo sauce. All that’s left to do now is serve!
As long as you serve some beans, tempeh, or tofu with the rice dish, it’s a complete meal that really sticks to your ribs. It’s the kind of meal that vegans and non-vegans alike go wild for. 🙂
Speaking of meals that vegans and non-vegans alike go wild for: If you love this type of recipe, check out my other stick-to-your-ribs vegan recipes:Print
Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Rice
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 batch Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 3/4 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch of green kale, tough stems removed, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- First, prepare the pumpkin alfredo sauce if you have not already done so.
- Cook the brown rice. Place the rinsed rice, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down heat to low, cover with lid, and cook for 45 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and salt. Saute until onions and garlic are fragrant and nicely browned, about 8 minutes. Add the chopped kale and cook until bright green, about 3 minutes. Add pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is finished, place the alfredo sauce in a small saucepan and warm over medium-low heat.
- Right before serving, add the sauteed vegetables to the cooked brown rice, followed by desired amount of alfredo sauce (you might not need the entire batch, depending on how saucy you like it). Stir to incorporate and serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan pumpkin alfredo, alfredo rice, vegan pumpkin alfredo rice, creamy vegan rice, cashew cream sauce, pumpkin cashew cream sauce
Do you want to save this recipe for later? Pin this to your Pinterest boards: