These Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos are so satisfying, thanks to their fillings, which include cauliflower walnut taco meat, avocado salsa, black beans, and sweet potatoes.
Remember the original vegan burrito recipe I shared about a year ago? (When I was using my iPhone 5 for all of my photography? Cringe!) I’ve been revisiting some of my old recipes recently, and I decided to give my black bean burrito recipe a makeover!
This new and improved vegan black bean and sweet potato burrito recipe is positively bursting with tasty fillings: the cauliflower walnut taco meat, avocado tomato salsa, spicy black beans and sweet potatoes, and salsa verde. You can even add more fillings, such as rice, cashew sour cream, and cheese, if you so desire!
- High in protein: Black beans are a fabulous source of protein, and combined with the walnuts in the taco meat and the tortilla, these burritos are packed with protein.
- Big batch: This recipe makes enough for 6 good-sized servings, with the potential for leftovers depending on how stuffed you like your burritos.
- Versatile: If you’re not into burritos, or you don’t have any tortillas on hand, just enjoy all of the tasty fillings in a bowl with some rice to round out the meal.
ingredients you’ll need
- For the Cauliflower Walnut Meat: Cauliflower, walnuts, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, sea salt, smoked paprika, pepper, and tomato paste.
- For the Spicy Black Beans and Sweet Potato: Olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, chili flakes, red pepper, black beans, and sweet potatoes.
- For the Avocado Tomato Salsa: Avocados, tomatoes, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Plus optional additions: Cashew sour cream, brown rice, cheese… really anything else you like.
Step by step instructions
- Make the Cauliflower Walnut Meat.
- Make the Spicy Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes: Steam diced sweet potatoes in a steamer basket. Meanwhile, cook the onions, garlic, spices, and beans in a skillet. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, lightly mash them into the black bean mixture.
- Make the Avocado Tomato Salsa: Mix together avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Gather any additional fillings you might be using.
- Wrap and roll!
more vegan mexican-inspired recipes
I hope you love these vegan sweet potato black bean burritos! If you make them, leave a comment and review below the recipe to let me know how you liked them, and tag your photos on Instagram @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I love re-gramming your creations in my stories.
Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
These tasty vegan sweet potato black bean burritos are flavourful, fun, and a fabulous source of protein.
- 1 batch of Cauliflower Walnut Taco Meat
Spicy Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes
- 4 heaping cups peeled and diced sweet potato (from 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 3 cups cooked black beans
Avocado Tomato Salsa
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- Pinch each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Salsa verde
- Brown rice
- Chopped lettuce
- Cashew Sour Cream
- 6 large flour tortillas (For a gluten-free option, use collard leaves or Ezekiel brand rice tortillas.)
- Prepare the Cauliflower Walnut Taco Meat.
- Make the Spicy Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes: Place the diced sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender. Alternatively, if you do not have a steamer, boil until fork tender and drain.
- Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper. Cook for a few minutes before adding the spices and black beans. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add them to the skillet and lightly mash.
- Make the Avocado Tomato Salsa: Add the diced avocados, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Prepare any other toppings you might be using.
- Assemble the burritos by adding desired amount of spicy black beans and sweet potatoes, taco meat, avocado tomato salsa, and optional fillings to a tortilla and wrapping.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: vegan black bean and sweet potato burritos
After seeing these photos I had to make them. They were very tasty and healthy and easy to put together!!
Thank you! 🙂