Snack time just got a whole lot more delicious, thanks to this chocolate almond butter granola. It’s vegan, refined sugar-free, and an excellent source of vitamin E, fibre, and magnesium.
For as long as I can remember, I have loved homemade granola. When I first started taking an interest in healthy eating, my mom spoiled me with big batches of her homemade classic granola, which I would happily munch on with fruit and yogurt for afternoon and evening snacks.
As the years have gone by, my love of granola has never waned, and I have taken to experimenting with all sorts of flavour combinations. Sometimes, I’ve even omitted the classic oats entirely and made a grain-free version. But I have to say, any iteration that contains chocolate usurps any and all competition for my granola-loving heart. This chocolate almond butter granola has to be my favourite yet!
While this is perhaps a more indulgent granola, it’s still much better for you than any store-bought variety. It’s made with good-for-you ingredients like almond butter, rolled oats, cocoa, chia, and almonds, and it’s sweetened with a bit of maple syrup and coconut sugar. The best part? It turns whatever milk you serve it with into chocolate milk!
how to make this chocolate almond butter granola:
- Stir together rolled oats, almonds, shredded coconut, chia seeds, coconut sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan, and whisk in maple syrup, almond butter, applesauce, cocoa, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir to coat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until fragrant and evenly browned. (It will crisp up more as it cools)
- Once cool, break into chunks and stir in some chocolate chips, if desired. (I didn’t find them to be necessary, but if a more indulgent granola is desired, go for it!)
Serving ideas for this granola include, but are not limited to:
-Atop a smoothie bowl, such as my Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl (pictured).
-With some non-dairy milk or yogurt, some hemp hearts, and berries for a simple breakfast or snack.
-As a crunchy topping for vegan ice cream, like Coconut Bliss!
-On its own, perhaps as a hiking snack?!
I sure hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you make it, leave a rating below! And if you post a photo to Instagram, tag @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen.
Delicious chocolate almond butter granola recipe that’s gluten-free, vegan, crunchy, and perfectly sweet.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, almonds, coconut, chia seeds, coconut sugar, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium low heat. Once melted, whisk in the maple syrup, almond butter, applesauce, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until all the oats, nuts, and seeds are coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until fragrant and nicely browned around the edges. The granola will crisp up as it cools.
- Once the granola has cooled, break into chunks/clusters and mix in the chocolate, if using.
Make it nut-free: Swap out the almonds and almond butter for sunflower seeds and sunflower seed butter or tahini.
Make it oil-free: I have not tested an oil-free version, but you can try using an 2 tbsp more almond butter and 2 tbsp more applesauce in place of the coconut oil.
Make it grain-free: Replace the rolled oats with 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes and increase the almonds to 1 cup.
- Category: Snack, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan granola, chocolate almond butter granola