Delicious chocolate almond butter granola recipe that’s gluten-free, vegan, crunchy, and perfectly sweet.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, almonds, coconut, chia seeds, coconut sugar, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium low heat. Once melted, whisk in the maple syrup, almond butter, applesauce, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until all the oats, nuts, and seeds are coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until fragrant and nicely browned around the edges. The granola will crisp up as it cools.
- Once the granola has cooled, break into chunks/clusters and mix in the chocolate, if using.
Make it nut-free: Swap out the almonds and almond butter for sunflower seeds and sunflower seed butter or tahini.
Make it oil-free: I have not tested an oil-free version, but you can try using an 2 tbsp more almond butter and 2 tbsp more applesauce in place of the coconut oil.
Make it grain-free: Replace the rolled oats with 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes and increase the almonds to 1 cup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Snack, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan granola, chocolate almond butter granola