These lentil falafel pitas are so much fun to eat! Pitas are topped with lentil falafels, tomato, lettuce, onion, olives, feta cheese (optional), and chipotle tahini sauce.
It’s Friday. Time to kick back, relax, crack open a cold one, and eat these loaded lentil falafel pitas. 🙂 You deserve it.
These loaded lentil falafel pitas are the perfect spring and summer celebratory fare. They’re made with my simple baked lentil falafels, totally addictive chipotle tahini sauce, tomato, lettuce, olives, and goat or sheep feta (omit if vegan). These sandwiches are packed with protein, spice, and flavours of the Mediterranean. Plus, they’re incredibly easy to make, especially if you make the falafels in advance.
Once we’re allowed to have social gatherings again, I think they’ll make the perfect main dish for backyard parties or picnics!
to make loaded lentil falafel pitas, you’ll:
- Make the falafels.
- Make the chipotle tahini sauce.
- Slice the tomatoes and olives, chop the lettuce, and crumble the feta, if using. (You could also look for a vegan feta cheese, if that’s available where you live.)
- Assemble the pita sandwiches!
I hope that you love these sandwiches. They’re so much fun to make and eat, and the chipotle tahini sauce goes well on just about everything- bowls, salads, roasted sweet potato wedges, you name it!
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it with a comment and rating below. And if you share a photo to Instagram, tag @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I love re-gramming your creations in my stories.
Loaded Lentil Falafel Pitas
Easy and delicious loaded lentil falafel pitas with chipotle lime tahini sauce!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 pita sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch, Supper
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 batch Baked Lentil Falafels
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head of romaine or green leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup goat or sheep feta, crumbled (optional)
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- Chipotle Tahini Sauce (recipe follows)
Chipotle Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1–2 chipotles in adobo sauce (use 2 for a SPICY sauce)
- 2 tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as desired to thin
- Begin by preparing the falafels according to the instructions in this recipe.
- Make the Chipotle Tahini Sauce: Blend all of the sauce ingredients in an upright blender until smooth. Add more water if a slightly thinner sauce is desired, but I found 1/3 cup to provide the perfect consistency.
- Assemble the pita sandwiches: On one side of each pita, place a handful of lettuce, a couple slices of tomato, some red onion, 3 falafels, a couple spoonfuls of tahini sauce, and desired amount of olives and feta, if using. Fold over and enjoy immediately!
Keywords: falafel sandwich, lentil falafel pita, chipotle tahini sauce