Easy and delicious loaded lentil falafel pitas with chipotle lime tahini sauce!
- 1 batch Baked Lentil Falafels
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head of romaine or green leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup goat or sheep feta, crumbled (optional)
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- Chipotle Tahini Sauce (recipe follows)
Chipotle Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1–2 chipotles in adobo sauce (use 2 for a SPICY sauce)
- 2 tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as desired to thin
- Begin by preparing the falafels according to the instructions in this recipe.
- Make the Chipotle Tahini Sauce: Blend all of the sauce ingredients in an upright blender until smooth. Add more water if a slightly thinner sauce is desired, but I found 1/3 cup to provide the perfect consistency.
- Assemble the pita sandwiches: On one side of each pita, place a handful of lettuce, a couple slices of tomato, some red onion, 3 falafels, a couple spoonfuls of tahini sauce, and desired amount of olives and feta, if using. Fold over and enjoy immediately!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Supper
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: falafel sandwich, lentil falafel pita, chipotle tahini sauce