This simple, hearty cranberry orange granola features cardamom, nuts, and almond or sunflower seed butter. It’s delicious on its own, or served with plant milk, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast. Packed with healthy fat, fibre, and refined sugar-free, it’ll make you feel as good as it tastes.
Given my affinity for granola, it’s surprising that, until today, I had just one other granola recipe on here: the grain-free maple coconut granola! That has to change, and I’m on a mission to expand my granola recipe repertoire–starting with this wintery cranberry, orange, and cardamom number.
I find cardamom to be a very warming and comforting spice: indeed, it is very common in Scandinavian baking, a part of the world that celebrates the art of hygge (which roughly translates into the feeling of coziness and togetherness). For me personally, cardamom is evocative of a classic Icelandic dessert, vina terta, which my family used to make every Christmas. (Vina terta consists of several large cookie layers, between which is sandwiched cooked prunes and cardamom.) In essence, I equate cardamom with coziness, and I use it frequently in baked goods, warm drinks, and desserts.
To folks used to adding the classic cinnamon to granola: I encourage you to give cardamom a try. It pairs beautifully with cranberry and orange, and it fills the house with the a hygge-esque aroma as it bakes.
how to make this cranberry orange granola with cardamom:
To make this granola, you’ll stir rolled oats, almonds or walnuts, shredded coconut, cardamom, and chia seeds together in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, you’ll melt coconut oil and add maple syrup, almond butter or sunflower seed butter, vanilla, sea salt, freshly squeezed orange juice, and the zest of one orange. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, stir to combine, transfer to a baking sheet, and bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes. Once out of the oven, add the cranberries and allow the granola to cool before breaking it into clusters.
I know a lot of folks are hesitant to make granola from scratch, but I encourage you to try your hand at this simple recipe. Whipping up a batch of granola just might become a weekly ritual. 🙂
If you make this cranberry orange granola with cardamom, leave a comment and rating below to let us know how you enjoyed it. And post a photo to Instagram using @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I’ll be sure to like it and feature it in an upcoming Instagram story (once I return to Instagram, of course–I’m currently taking a little break from social media).
Happy granola eating!Print
Cranberry Orange Granola with Cardamom
A simple and healthy granola recipe with the cozy flavours of cardamom, orange, and cranberry. Enjoy it straight out of the jar, or serve it atop a bowl of yogurt for a healthy breakfast or snack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Healthy
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 heaping tsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp almond butter or sunflower seed butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 organic orange
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line one large or two small baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together the rolled oats, almonds or walnuts, shredded coconut, chia seeds, and cardamom in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add the maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla, salt, orange zest, and orange juice; whisk to incorporate.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet(s) and press down into one even layer with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through to ensure even baking, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the dried cranberries over top. Be sure to allow the granola to cool for at least 30 minutes. Then, break into whichever sized clusters you like.
- Once completely cooled, store the granola in an airtight glass jar at room temperature for one week, or in the refrigerator for one month.
Keywords: vegan granola recipe, cardamom orange cranberry granola recipe, granola recipe with cardamom, orange cranberry granola recipe