These Southwestern Tofu Scramble Burritos are filled with a pinto bean and tofu scramble, quick pickled jalapenos, guacamole, and salsa. They are packed protein and staying power, making them the perfect hungry person’s meal!
Tofu scramble is one of my go-to meals when I need to get dinner on the table in a short amount of time. It’s rich in protein, and when the right combination of vegetables and flavours are added, it’s also incredibly delicious.
As someone with a hearty appetite who usually cooks for people with hearty appetites, I can confidently say that these Southwestern Tofu Scramble Burritos will satisfy a mean hunger.
They are perfect at brunch, lunch, and dinner.
These Southwestern Tofu Scramble Burritos are a cinch to make. Remember those Pickled Jalapenos we made the other day? Well, you’re going to want some of those on hand (of course, in a pinch, you can use store-bought ones).
To make the southwestern tofu scramble, begin by sauteeing some onions and garlic. Add some southwestern spices (cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne or chili flakes), plus some salt and pepper. Next, crumble in one block of firm or extra-firm organic tofu and 1 ½ cups of cooked pinto beans. I love the texture of pinto beans, but black beans would also work in this recipe. Toss in some salsa. I’ve also included some nutritional yeast to my tofu scramble recipe. It might seem odd, but I find that it adds a certain umami flavour (the boost of energizing B vitamins doesn’t hurt, either!).
Once you’ve made your tofu scramble, whip up an ultra simple guacamole with avocado, lime juice, garlic, and sea salt.
Warm up some large tortillas if desired.
To assemble, scoop a hefty amount of tofu scramble onto the center of a tortilla. Top with guacamole, salsa, shredded lettuce, and pickled jalapenos. Roll up and enjoy immediately!Print
Southwestern Tofu Scramble
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne, or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package (454 grams) firm or extra-firm organic tofu
- 1 ½ cups cooked pinto or black beans
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted, flesh scooped out
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (might seem like a lot, but just trust me)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt, or to taste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Quick Pickled Jalapenos (or store bought)
- Shredded lettuce
- Red or green salsa
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Warm the olive oil in a heavy bottomed (I love cast iron) skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, salt and pepper to taste, and a pinch of cayenne and cook 2 minutes more.
- Crumble in the tofu. You want the tofu to resemble the texture of scrambled eggs. Then add the beans, salsa, and nutritional yeast. Cook until heated through, cover, and remove from heat.
- Make the guacamole by mashing together the avocado, lime juice, salt, and garlic in a medium bowl. Cover until ready to serve to prevent browning.
- Warm up the flour tortillas in a covered dish in the oven, if desired.
- Arrange an assembly line of tofu scramble, guacamole, pickled jalapenos, shredded lettuce, and salsa.
- To assemble a burrito, spoon one quarter of the scramble onto the center of a tortilla. Top with guacamole, salsa, pickled jalapenos, and lettuce. Roll up and enjoy immediately. Craft beer or margaritas optional.
- Wait, craft beer and margaritas are definitely not optional.
- Category: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Burritos
- Cuisine: Southwestern, Vegan
Keywords: tofu scramble, southwestern tofu scramble, burritos, vegan burrito, breakfast burrito
I hope you love these Southwestern Tofu Scramble Burritos! If you make them, leave a comment below and tag your photo #upbeetkitchen on Instagram!