Southwestern Tofu Scramble
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package (454 grams) firm or extra-firm organic tofu
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto or black beans
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted, flesh scooped out
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (might seem like a lot, but just trust me)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, or to taste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Quick Pickled Jalapenos (or store bought)
- Shredded lettuce
- Red or green salsa
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Warm the olive oil in a heavy bottomed (I love cast iron) skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, salt and pepper to taste, and a pinch of cayenne and cook 2 minutes more.
- Crumble in the tofu. You want the tofu to resemble the texture of scrambled eggs. Then add the beans, salsa, and nutritional yeast. Cook until heated through, cover, and remove from heat.
- Make the guacamole by mashing together the avocado, lime juice, salt, and garlic in a medium bowl. Cover until ready to serve to prevent browning.
- Warm up the flour tortillas in a covered dish in the oven, if desired.
- Arrange an assembly line of tofu scramble, guacamole, pickled jalapenos, shredded lettuce, and salsa.
- To assemble a burrito, spoon one quarter of the scramble onto the center of a tortilla. Top with guacamole, salsa, pickled jalapenos, and lettuce. Roll up and enjoy immediately. Craft beer or margaritas optional.
- Wait, craft beer and margaritas are definitely not optional.
- Category: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Burritos
- Cuisine: Southwestern, Vegan
Keywords: tofu scramble, southwestern tofu scramble, burritos, vegan burrito, breakfast burrito