This ultra creamy chocolate chia pudding recipe is made with an instant cashew milk base. It’s best topped with berries, chia jam, cacao nibs, and hemp seeds for a nourishing breakfast or snack!
Ahhhh, chia pudding. That vegan breakfast staple that we all love, but are afraid to admit that we are never quite satisfied after eating.
I set out to change all that, and I believe I have succeeded in creating a chia pudding that will satisfy even the hangriest among us. It turns out that it all depends on your base.
I’m all about that base
In the past, I always used a base of either store-bought non-dairy milk or canned coconut milk. Almond milk was too watery, and coconut milk always seemed slightly too thick.
When I set out to create this recipe, I opted to start with a base of instant cashew milk. It’s a simple blend of cashew butter, pitted Medjool dates, and water. You could use any nut or seed butter in place of the cashew butter, of course.
Creamy Chia Pudding for the Win
Once you’ve made your instant cashew milk base, you’ll mix in cocoa or raw cacao powder, vanilla extract, a pinch of fine sea salt, and chia seeds.
Of course, if you prefer a vanilla-flavoured chia pudding, you can omit the cocoa! Or change it up by adding a handful of your favourite berries or matcha to your instant cashew milk. The possibilities are endless. 🙂
Next, you’ll need to refrigerate the chia pudding for at least 5 hours to allow the chia seeds to thicken the mixture.
Once thickened, it’s time to go wild with the toppings! I opted for sliced banana, blueberries my no-cook strawberry chia jam, cacao nibs, and hemp. Other topping options include granola and yogurt.
This ultra creamy chocolate chia pudding makes 2 large (meal-sized) or 3 small (snack-sized) servings. I like to store it in a large glass jar in the fridge, where it will keep for about a week, and portion out amounts as needed.
It makes the perfect pack-along breakfast or snack for school or work!Print
Ultra creamy chocolate chia pudding made with an instant cashew milk base. The perfect pack-along snack or breakfast for school or work.
- 2 tbsp cashew butter (raw or roasted; may sub almond or sunflower seed butter)
- 3 pitted soft Medjool dates (soaked for 30 minutes if hard)
- 1 ½ cups filtered water
- 1 ½ tbsp cocoa or raw cacao powder
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- Place the cashew butter, dates, and water in a blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the instant cashew milk into a large bowl. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, sea salt, and chia seeds. Whisk to incorporate, then transfer the mixture to an airtight container or glass jar.
- Place in the refrigerator to thicken for at least 5 hours. Enjoy with toppings of your choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Cuisine: vegan
Keywords: chia pudding, creamy chia pudding, chocolate chia pudding, vegan, raw vegan