Hellooooo, world! It’s time to meet the world’s easiest vegan banana Nutella muffins.
Now, I’m well aware that Nutella is not truly vegan. However, there are several vegan chocolate hazelnut spreads on the market that taste almost like the ‘real’ thing, and just as many recipes for homemade Nutella. Vegans, rejoice! Now we can have our Not-tella and eat it, too!
These muffins are for those times during the morning or afternoon when your tummy starts to growl and you need something to tide you over in between meals, and a granola bar just won’t cut it.
These muffins have a lot going for them. They’re:
-Easy to make, requiring just ten minutes of prep.
-Bursting with banana goodness.
-Filled with a rich chocolatey surprise (ahem vegan ‘Nutella’ ahem).
-Refined sugar-free (hiiii, coconut sugar, you dreamy sweetener, you).
-Actually a virtuous snack from a nutritional standpoint.
-The perfect way to use over-ripe bananas..
Something tells me that these muffins are going to become a staple in your baking repertoire. They are perfect in children’s lunches, and I’ve been told that parents love them, too. They also make a great post-run snack.
If you can resist that close-up, you have to teach me how to be so strong. 😉
Vegan Banana Nutella Muffins
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax plus 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1 3/4 cups mashed ripe banana (3 large)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups light/white spelt flour (sub whole spelt flour with varying results)
- 9 tsp vegan chocolate hazelnut spread of choice*
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin tin with 9 unbleached paper muffin cups.
- Prepare the flax egg by whisking together the ground flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Mash the banana and measure out 1 3/4 cups. Place in a large bowl. Add the coconut sugar and whisk. Add the flax egg, melted coconut oil, and vanilla and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the dry ingredients, one at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Measure 2 tbsp of batter into each muffin cup. Top each with 1 tsp of vegan chocolate hazelnut spread. Top each with approximately 2 tbsp more batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly brown and fragrant.
I hope you are having a beautiful long weekend. Whether you celebrate Easter or another religious holiday, I hope you are enjoying good food and the great outdoors with the people you love.
If you make these Vegan Banana Nutella Muffins and post them on Instagram, be sure to tag me @holisticallie and #holisticallie so I can see!