This tahini tofu scramble just might become your new favourite brunch recipe. A tantalizing combination of tahini, nutritional yeast, and salsa imbues tofu with a ton of flavour!
A common refrain I get from non-vegetarians is, “Tofu is gross- it doesn’t taste like anything.” My response: that’s the point. It’s a blank slate for us to gussy up however we like! I happen to be part of the tofu loving camp: it’s versatile, easy to digest, affordable, and high in protein. It works as well in Asian dishes as it does in Mexican, Thai, and American ones. And yet, I can empathize with the tofu haters because I was once one myself. If you have only ever tasted plain, slimy tofu, I think your dislike of the stuff is entirely justified.
All of that is about to change, my friends, once you dig in to this tasty tofu scramble. My scramble is full of flavour thanks to my heavy hand with the seasonings: ample amounts of onion, garlic, spices, nutritional yeast, salsa, and tahini combine to take tofu from ho-hum to OMG yum! If you have only ever had scrambled eggs, I encourage you to give tofu scramble a try.
Perhaps the best thing about it is the speed at which it can be whipped up, making it the perfect dish to serve to unexpected brunch guests or your hangry family (or self!) at dinner.
Simply chop onions, garlic and red pepper. Saute for a few minutes, add spices, tofu, nutritional yeast, salsa, tahini, and heat through.
While it’s heating, pop some bread in the toaster for avocado toast, and throw some kale into the steamer or throw together a fresh green salad.
Ten minutes later, sit down to a delicious, healthy, home-cooked meal.
It’s as simple as that. Healthy eating isn’t complicated. More often than not, it isn’t glamorous or Instagram-worthy. But it is an act of self-care–and that is reason enough for us to make time for it.
If you love this scramble and are hungry for more, check out my other tofu and tempeh recipes!Print
A tofu scramble that’s ultra-flavourful thanks to generous amounts of nutritional yeast, salsa, tahini, and spices. Serve with avocado toast and greens for a well-balanced vegan meal.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (454 g) block firm tofu (organic and non-GMO)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 3 tbsp tahini
- Freshly ground black pepper, cayenne, and additional sea salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric (optional, for colour)
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika,coriander, and red bell pepper.
- Crumble in the tofu and cook for five minutes.
- Stir in nutritional yeast, salsa, and tahini, and cook five minutes more, or until heated through. Taste and add pepper, cayenne, additional salt, and turmeric, if desired.
- Serve with avocado toast and greens of your choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
- Cuisine: American, Mexican, Vegan
Tag your photos #upbeetkitchen and @upbeet.kitchen on Instagram!