Changing up the traditional American breakfast sandwich with these Moroccan breakfast sandwiches featuring egg, harissa, feta, olives, and mint lemon tahini sauce! The perfect savoury breakfast or brunch recipe that delivers plenty of nutrition and flavour.
Good morning! And happy June, too! June is always a jam-packed month in our household. There’s my mom’s birthday, followed by my dad’s birthday four days later, and Father’s Day three days after that. And of course I’m looking forward to finally being able to see my brother and his fiancee, as well as my core group of girlfriends, as lockdown restrictions are finally easing here and we can actually meet up in small groups outdoors once again! Lots of little things to look forward to this month in the way of seeing people again. The pandemic has offered plenty of time for soul searching and introspection, and I will say that I have a renewed awareness of how much I value human connection and interaction.
Are you a savoury or sweet breakfast lover? Nine times out of ten, I will go for something on the sweeter side, but I love a good savoury breakfast sandwich from time to time. Awhile back, as I was enjoying a traditional breakfast sandwich, an idea popped into my head: Breakfast sandwiches, Moroccan-style! Moroccan spice blends, condiments, and sauces are hard to beat; I particularly love spicy harissa sauce right now. I’ve added a few of my favourite Moroccan-inspired elements to these breakfast sandwiches: harissa, feta, olives, and mint lemon tahini sauce. Altogether, they make a fabulous, simple and healthy meal at any time of the day.
moroccan breakfast sandwiches: the details
These sandwiches take less than 15 minutes to make, and use staple ingredients like eggs, English muffins or bagels, feta, olives, tahini, lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs. Harissa is a Moroccan hot pepper sauce that can be found at well-stocked grocery stores; if you don’t have any on hand, you can use some of your favourite hot sauce in its place.
ingredients you’ll need
For the mint lemon tahini sauce, you’ll need tahini, lemon juice, mint, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and maple syrup or honey.
For the sandwiches, you’ll need English muffins or bagels, eggs, feta, olives, harissa, arugula, and the tahini sauce.
Make the sauce: Combine the water, tahini, lemon, mint, garlic, salt, pepper, and maple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding up to 2 tablespoons more water if needed to thin out. Transfer into a jar or container.
Make the sandwiches: Toast the English muffins or bagels. On the bottom half of each English muffin or bagel, layer on the eggs, harissa, feta, olives, a drizzle of the sauce, and a handful of arugula. Top with the other half and enjoy immediately.
frequently asked questions
Is there a make ahead option for these breakfast sandwiches? I recommend making them fresh for best results, as the harissa and tahini sauce will make for soggy sandwiches if you make them too far in advance. If you do try making them ahead, I would recommend adding the harissa and tahini sauce right before you eat them.
Is there a vegan option? Swap out the egg for baked or smoked tofu, or Just Egg. Omit the feta or use vegan feta.
more breakfast sandwich recipes
- Vegan Tempeh Breakfast Sandwiches with Chipotle Aioli
- Tofu Benedict with Hemp Hollandaise Sauce
- Greek Tofu Breakfast Sandwiches (Vegan)
Finally, I hope that you love these Moroccan breakfast sandwiches! If you make them, let me know how you enjoyed them by leaving a comment and rating below the post. And if you share a photo to Instagram, tag it @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. I love seeing what you’ve made.
Easy and healthy Moroccan breakfast sandwiches with egg, harissa, feta, olives, lemon mint tahini sauce, and arugula.
Mint Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or raw honey
- 4 English muffins or bagels
- 4–8 large organic free range eggs, scrambled or fried (1–2 eggs per sandwich, depending on appetites)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- Harissa (Moroccan chili pepper sauce), to taste
- Arugula or baby spinach
- Make the sauce: Combine the water, tahini, lemon, mint, garlic, salt, pepper, and maple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding up to 2 tablespoons more water if needed to thin out. Transfer into a jar or container.
- Make the sandwiches: Toast the English muffins or bagels. On the bottom half of each English muffin or bagel, layer on the eggs, a small dollop of harissa (use with caution; it’s very spicy), feta, olives, a drizzle of the sauce, and a handful of arugula. Top with the other half and enjoy immediately.
Keywords: Moroccan egg breakfast sandwich