This vegan avocado pasta with parmesan-roasted chickpeas comprises a creamy sauce made with avocado, lots of lemon, garlic, and herbs, and chickpeas that are roasted and tossed with cashew parmesan. You’ll love this comforting yet seasonal pasta dish!
Cashew Parmesan-Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp cashew parmesan (use this recipe, but swap out the sunflower seeds for cashews)
Avocado Pasta Sauce
- 2 medium-large ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2–3 lemons)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Big handful fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp water
4 cups uncooked pasta
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the 3 tbsp of cashew parmesan, and roast 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, scoop out the avocado flesh and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, olive oil, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, and water. Process until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula as needed.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package and drain.
- Either add the avocado sauce to the cooked pasta and toss to coat, or spoon the avocado sauce over individual portions right before serving. I prefer the latter method, as I find the pasta soaks up the avocado sauce quite readily!
- Top each bowl with roasted chickpeas and add additional cashew parmesan and fresh parsley, if desired.
- Category: Supper
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: vegan avocado pasta sauce