Rise and shine! These apple cheddar breakfast quesadillas are a fun way to shake up your morning meal. Apple, goat cheddar, Dijon mustard, and beet sauerkraut are a divine in quesadilla form.
Raise your hand if you love quesadillas! Raise your other hand if you love the combination of apple and cheese! My dad has always said that “an apple without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze,” and I’ve taken that adage to heart in today’s recipe for apple cheddar breakfast quesadillas.
I’ve long had a soft spot for the pairing of sweet and savory. I think that’s why we all love the combination of apple and cheese so much. My favourite elementary school lunch was an apple and cheddar wrap, and my brother and I very much enjoyed our after school snack of apple, graham crackers, and cheese for many years.
I’ve taken this nostalgic concept and created a decidedly more grown up variation by adding Dijon mustard and beet sauerkraut. That, along with thinly sliced apple and grated goat cheddar, combine into a surprisingly divine quesadilla filling. I also created a simple honey yogurt sauce for drizzling on top/dipping. Overall, I think you will fall in love with it.
While I’ve called this a “breakfast quesadilla,” it’s delicious at any time of the day. You can serve it for lunch with soup, or split one with your love, or your children, for a late afternoon snack.
This is one of those very simple recipes that I almost hesitated to share, not knowing whether it is too simple. But sometimes, a simple recipe is appreciated more than I thought, and I hope this apple cheddar quesadilla is something that you turn to when you are short on time yet hungry for something wholesome.
some final thoughts:
Veganize this recipe by swapping out the goat cheddar for your favourite vegan cheese and using vegan yogurt and maple syrup in the sauce.
Wholesome and healthy, these apple cheddar breakfast quesadillas are kicked up a notch with sauerkraut and Dijon mustard. They are ultra flavourful and totally crave worthy.
- 1 large (10-inch) whole grain tortilla
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated goat cheddar cheese (or sub your favourite vegan cheese)
- 1/3 cup beet sauerkraut (squeeze out excess liquid before measuring)
- Small handful thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 an apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, for brushing on the outside of the quesadilla
Honey yogurt sauce:
- 1/4 cup goat or sheep yogurt (sub non-dairy yogurt for vegan option)
- 1 tsp raw honey (sub maple syrup for vegan option)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble the quesadilla: Spread the Dijon mustard over one half of the tortilla. Layer the second half of the tortilla with the apple, sauerkraut, red onion, and cheddar cheese. Fold over and lightly press to adhere.
- Lightly brush the olive oil over the outside of the quesadilla. This helps make the quesadilla crispy as it bakes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flipping the quesadilla halfway through for even browning.
- While the quesadilla is baking, mix the yogurt and honey together in a small dish.
- To serve, slice the quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve the honey yogurt sauce in a small dish for dipping.
- Category: Vegetarian, Breakfast and Brunch
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, American
Keywords: cheddar apple quesadilla, breakfast quesadilla, goat cheddar quesadilla, healthy breakfast ideas
Pin this to your boards for later: