Easy, healthy sweet potato tortillas made with a handful of ingredients that come together in a flash! These tortillas make the most amazing breakfast wrap when filled with nut butter and banana, and can also be enjoyed with fillings like hummus, avocado, vegetables, and veggie burgers for lunch or dinner. The possibilities are endless!Skip to the recipe!
Over the past couple of years, I’ve been on a quest to find a recipe for tortillas that are soft, pliable, and overall similar in texture to store-bought ones. Part of this quest stemmed from wanting to reduce my plastic waste, and part of it came from my love of DIY kitchen projects! Well, friends, I am happy to report that my quest has ended on a happy note, and it turns out that my favourite vegetable would be the key to whole grain tortillas that come out tender and pliable, rather than hard and prone to cracking, every single time.
Yes, it’s true! Adding mashed sweet potato to your dough makes all the difference. Who would’ve thought?
The original inspiration for this recipe came from Be Love, my very favourite restaurant in Victoria, British Columbia. A few summers ago, they featured a very delightful Vegan Mezze Platter on their menu. Among the hummus, cashew cheese, dolmades, rainbow vegetables, and probably a few other delicious finger foods that have since escaped my memory, was a perfectly tender gluten-free sweet potato flatbread for scooping up all the spreads. Good food leaves a lasting impression on this gal, and I’ve wanted to create a copycat version ever since.
I use light spelt flour in my recipe, rather than a gluten-free flour, because I’m not ultra confident working with gluten-free flours in a bread context. However, if you would like to try it with gluten-free flour, by all means go ahead and let me know how it worked!
The night that I made the flatbreads, I stuffed them with my Smoky Barbecue Black Bean Burgers. The next morning, I enjoyed one for breakfast with peanut butter and banana. They would also be delicious with hummus, pesto, veggie pate, or anything else that strikes your fancy!
Sweet Potato Tortillas
- 1 heaping cup diced sweet potato
- 2 1/2-3 cups light/white spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, for cooking
- Place the diced sweet potato in a steamer basket with water in the bottom and cover with the lid. Alternatively, place in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Steam or boil for 15-20 minutes, until very tender.
- Mash the sweet potato. In a large bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups of flour, salt, and water. Add the mashed sweet potato.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes, or until a smooth and elastic dough is formed. Add more flour as needed. Divide into 8 even balls.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and melt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a ball of dough out into a circle measuring about 7-8 inches (the thinner, the better).
- Cook the tortilla for 90 seconds on each side, turning down heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining dough, adding more coconut oil as needed. Cool on a cooling rack, then enjoy immediately or wrap in parchment paper and place in an airtight container, where they will keep, refrigerated, for 1 week. Gently reheat in a skillet if desired.
If you make these Sweet Potato Tortillas and post them on Instagram, make sure to tag @upbeetkitchen and #upbeetkitchen so I can see!