Easy and healthy homemade tortillas made with sweet potato and spelt flour.
- 1 heaping cup diced sweet potato
- 2 1/2–3 cups light/white spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, for cooking
- Place the diced sweet potato in a steamer basket with water in the bottom and cover with the lid. Alternatively, place in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Steam or boil for 15-20 minutes, until very tender.
- Mash the sweet potato. In a large bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups of flour, salt, and water. Add the mashed sweet potato.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes, or until a smooth and elastic dough is formed. Add more flour as needed. Divide into 8 even balls.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and melt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a ball of dough out into a circle measuring about 7-8 inches (the thinner, the better).
- Cook the tortilla for 90 seconds on each side, turning down heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining dough, adding more coconut oil as needed. Cool on a cooling rack, then enjoy immediately or wrap in parchment paper and place in an airtight container, where they will keep, refrigerated, for 1 week. Gently reheat in a skillet if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Snack
- Cuisine: American, Mexican Fusion, Vegan