These vegan chocolate chunk cashew butter blondies are ridiculously rich-tasting. Nobody would ever know that they are made with a wholesome combination of oat flour, cashew butter, and coconut sugar, with plenty of dark chocolate for good measure.
Note: This recipe was originally published in December 2018, and was updated with new photos and a revised recipe on February 21st, 2021.
Oh hi, friends! I’m so excited to share my favourite blondie recipe with you just in time for the holidays! This dessert only takes 20 minutes to whip up and is so intensely craveable, you’ll be making it all year round!
What the heck is a blondie, you may ask? Think brownie, minus the chocolate batter. I like to think of them as blonde brownies. What the batter lacks in cocoa, it makes up for in the chocolate chunks that adorn every square inch of this dessert!
They’re sweet (but not tooth-achingly so), rich (but not over the top), and satisfying. Sweetened with coconut sugar and made with wholesome ingredients like flax, oat flour, cashew butter, and fair trade organic dark chocolate, they’re even rather redeeming from a nutritional standpoint—at least more so than the average dessert on offer at this time of the year.
So flatter your family and impress your friends with your vegan baking prowess. Only you and I have to know how easy and fuss-free it truly is to make these vegan blondies. 🙂
What are we waiting for? Let’s bake!
vegan cashew butter chocolate chunk blondies ingredients
- Ground flax, cashew butter (any nut or seed butter will work), coconut sugar, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, oat flour, baking powder, sea salt, and dark chocolate.
how to make these amazing vegan blondies
First of all, you’ll whip together a flax egg. To the flax egg, you’ll add cashew butter, coconut sugar, and melted coconut oil (or butter if not vegan), and almond milk. Add some vanilla extract to enhance the flavour.
Next, you’ll whisk together oat flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and stir.
Lastly, you’ll sprinkle on the most important ingredient of all: chopped dark chocolate! Stir to combine and transfer into a parchment-lined baking dish.
The hardest step is waiting for it to bake and set before slicing and enjoying!
a few final thoughts
- So far, I have made these blondies with cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, tahini, and peanut butter. They were all fantastic. Depending on the nut or seed butter you use, you’ll end up with slightly different textures, as some have more oil content than others. But they all work. 🙂
- My original recipe called for 1 cup of coconut sugar, but I have reduced it to ¾ of a cup, and I still found it plenty sweet.
- These blondies taste even more incredible topped with my chocolate sweet potato icing! I’ve included the recipe in the recipe card.
more vegan dessert recipes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Chocolate Chip, Pecan, and Cranberry Cookies
- Vegan Pecan Caramel Bars
I hope that you love these chocolate chunk cashew butter blondies. If you make them, please leave a comment and rating below to let me know how you liked them. If you take a photo, post it to Instagram and tag me @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen! I love seeing your takes on my recipes.
Chocolate Chunk Cashew Butter Blondies (Vegan, GF)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 blondies 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These vegan chocolate chunk cashew butter blondies are ridiculously rich-tasting. Nobody would ever know that they are made with a healthy combination of oat flour, cashew butter, and coconut sugar, with plenty of dark chocolate for good measure.
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2.5 tablespoons water)
- ½ cup cashew butter (or any nut or seed butter you like)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup oat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 100 grams chopped dark chocolate (50–70 percent cacao content)
Chocolate Sweet Potato Icing (Optional)
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato (from 1 large)
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, with enough overhang to easily lift the blondie out of the pan later.
- Make the flax egg by combining the flax and water in a large bowl. Whisk to combine and wait for a couple of minutes to allow it to thicken up. Next, add the cashew butter, coconut sugar, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk or stir together the oat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Finally, mix in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Spoon the prepared dough into your pan. Wet your hands and press the dough into the corners of the pan. You want a flat, even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch and golden.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate sweet potato icing (optional): Steam the sweet potato for 15-20 minutes, or until very tender. Once cool enough to handle, transfer into a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Add the cocoa, maple syrup, coconut oil, nut or seed butter, and a pinch of salt. Process until very smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides of the container as needed. Transfer into a container or jar until ready to frost the blondie.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before lifting out and transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- If frosting, spread desired amount of chocolate sweet potato icing over top.
- Slice into 12-16 squares and enjoy. The blondies are quite soft when fresh, but firm up the longer they sit. They are also delicious slightly chilled, so I often store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This recipe is inspired by the Cosmically Fudgy Brownies from The Blissful Basil Cookbook by Ashley Melillo.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: vegan cashew butter chocolate blondies
if you use Pinterest, pin this to one of your boards:
Excellent Blondie. My favourite by far!
Words cannot describe how much I loved these Blondies. Now my go to dessert!