Your new food obsession comes in the form of this easy hummus pita grilled cheese! Sun-dried tomato hummus on pitas with spicy Havarti, parmesan, a drizzle of honey, and herb butter is totally divine!
Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained before measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus more to taste
For Assembling the Pita Hummus Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- Small pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Greek pitas (thicker than normal pitas)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded spicy Havarti cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Honey, for drizzling
First, make the hummus. Combine the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth.
Next, make the herb butter. Mix together the softened butter, a pinch of salt and pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
Assemble: Spread a generous amount of hummus over a pita. Sprinkle half of the pita with Havarti and parmesan. Drizzle with honey. Fold over. Spread the outsides of the pita with herb butter.
Warm a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook the pita grilled cheese for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the cheese has melted and the outside is browned and crisp. If the outside is browning too quickly, reduce the heat.
Remove from the heat and enjoy immediately!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes (per sandwich)
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: hummus pita grilled cheese sandwich recipe