These savoury pumpkin spelt biscuits are seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour. Light and high rising, yet healthy, they’re the perfect compliment to soups and stews.
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup yogurt (preferably full fat organic)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 to 2/12 cups light spelt flour (see note)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup very cold or frozen butter- salted or unsalted (organic, if possible)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start by whisking together the pumpkin, yogurt, and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, rosemary, and thyme. Incorporate the butter using a pastry cutter. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, cut the butter into small pieces, add it to the flour, and then use a fork to crumble the butter into tinier pieces.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a couple of times, until you have a soft dough. Add up to 1/2 cup more flour if need be, but keep in mind that biscuit dough should be on the softer side.
- Press out into a rectangle measuring about 3/4 of an inch thick and use a round cookie cutter or a drinking glass that’s about 2 1/2 inches in diameter to cut out 12 round biscuits. Transfer onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed up and lightly browned on top. Do not over-bake, or you will have dry and crumbly biscuits! Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Recipe lightly adapted from Yum and Yummer by Greta Podleski.
Whole spelt flour can be used in place of the light spelt. You can also use a combination of whole spelt or whole wheat and all purpose flours.
- Category: Side Dish, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: savoury pumpkin spelt biscuits