You’d never know that these fudgy, decadent-tasting vegan almond butter pumpkin spice brownies are actually quite healthy compared to most. Sweetened with coconut sugar and maple syrup, they feature an oat flour base, and almond butter and pumpkin puree replace the oil or butter typically found in brownies.
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2.5 tbsp water)
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3–4 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (fair trade and organic if possible)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I use this recipe from Oh She Glows blog)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I love fair trade organic ones that I get in the bulk bin at my local health food store!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 8×8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper with some overhang to allow you to easily lift the brownie out of the pan later.
- Place the flax egg in a large bowl. Add the almond butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, 3 tbsp non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the oat flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. If it seems too dry, add 1 more tbsp of non-dairy milk. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the lined baking dish. Lightly wet your hands and press the brownie outwards towards the four corners. The surface should be one even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow the brownie to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before carefully lifting out and placing on a wire cooling rack for at least 40 more minutes
- Slice the brownie into 9-12 squares, depending on how large you want your brownies to be, and top with non-dairy ice cream (I love Coconut Bliss Vanilla Island flavour), and an optional drizzle of no-cook pumpkin spice caramel sauce and chopped toasted walnuts.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan almond butter brownie, vegan pumpkin brownie, vegan pumpkin spice brownie, oil-free vegan brownie, pumpkin spice almond butter brownie