Raw romaine taco boats with a zippy tofu ricotta that is 1000 times tastier than dairy ricotta! This Mediterranean-inspired warm weather meal features in-season romaine lettuce, tomato, mint, and cucumber, and is packed with protein thanks to the tofu.
- 1 block (454 g) organic firm tofu
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea miso
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each dried basil, parsley, and oregano
Raw Romaine Tacos
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 an English cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Make the tofu ricotta: Break the tofu up into chunks and place in bowl of a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Add the Dijon, lemon juice, tahini, nutritional yeast, chickpea miso, sea salt, pepper, garlic, basil, parsley, and oregano. Process until smooth. Transfer to a container until ready to use.
- Lay the romaine lettuce leaves out on a flat surface. Count on two romaine taco boats per person- if you are serving to four people, lay out 8 lettuce leaves.
- Dollop a generous spoonful or two of tofu ricotta onto each lettuce leaf and spread towards the edges with the back of a spoon.
- Top each with tomato, cucumber, olives, and fresh mint.
- Optional: Add a drizzle of green goddess ranch (made with basil) or a sprinkle of sunflower parmesan to really knock these out of the park. 🙂
MAKE IT SOY-FREE: Substitute my beet hummus or sweet potato hummus for the tofu ricotta.
You will probably have some leftover tofu ricotta. That’s awesome, as it’s great on sandwiches/wraps or bowls/salads for an extra boost of protein and flavour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Side Dish, Appetizer
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Raw Romaine Taco Boats, Tofu Ricotta