Get ready for your taste buds to EXPLODE! These Mediterranean-inspired chickpea burgers are bursting with flavour from umami-rich sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs, and are packed with complete protein from chickpeas, quinoa, tahini, and sunflower seeds. The cashew tzatziki sauce takes them over the top into OMG territory. They are delicious on artisan burger buns, ciabatta buns, or even lettuce leaves!
- 2 (14-ounce/398 mL) cans chickpeas, or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil, or 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4–1/2 tsp fine sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp oat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower ‘Parmesan’
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (drain oil off before measuring) OR 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa OR 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and beginning to form a paste.
- Pour chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine. You may need to use your hands to assist in mixing.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Form the mixture into 6-8 medium-large patties and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the burgers for 35-40 minutes, or until nicely browned and crisp around the edges.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Warm a couple teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the burgers, 3 at a time, and cook for a couple minutes per side so that they develop crispier exteriors. (I often skip this step when I’m in a hurry, but they are very delicious this way!)
- To serve, place each burger on a bun and top with cashew tzatziki or lemon herb tahini sauce, tomato, cucumber, greens, pickled onions, and whatever else strikes your fancy. 🙂
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: mediterranean chickpea burgers, sun-dried tomato chickpea burgers, chickpea olive burgers, chickpea quinoa burgers