This spicy beef vegetable tortellini soup is simple, nourishing, and flavourful. Enjoy with a side of beer biscuits for the perfect cold weather dinner.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound (454 grams) top sirloin, sliced, or ground beef, or cubed stewing beef
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 ounces (227 grams) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, more to taste
- 1 28-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth, plus more as needed
- 2 packed cups chopped kale or spinach
- 8 oz cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, five minutes. Add the beef and cook until lightly browned, five minutes. Then add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, herbs, hot red pepper flakes, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about five minutes more.
- Next, add the fire-roasted tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-45 minutes, until meat and vegetables are tender. Add more beef broth if a thinner consistency is desired.
- A couple of minutes before serving, add the kale and tortellini and simmer until cooked, two to three minutes. Finally, stir in the cream.
- Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: spicy beef vegetable tortellini soup recipe