This roasted beet quinoa pomegranate salad with orange vinaigrette is the perfect side dish for virtually any fall or winter meal. Nourishing, satisfying, and vibrant!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 large beets, unpeeled, stems removed, and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning the beets
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Start by soaking your quinoa. While this step is optional, soaking is a traditional grain preparation method that unlocks nutrients and neutralizes anti-nutrients and enzyme inhibitors. To soak, rinse quinoa thoroughly, then place in a large bowl and cover with water and a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Soak for at least four hours or overnight. Then drain through a fine sieve and rinse once more before cooking. If you choose not to soak the quinoa, simply rinse and drain it, and cook it with 1 3/4 cups of water.
- Next, cook the soaked and drained quinoa. Place in a medium saucepan and add 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, lightly fluff with a fork, and set aside.
- Roast the beets: Preheat the oven to 425 F. Slice the beets into wedges measuring 1/2-inch thick. Place on a large, rimmed baking sheet and toss with the oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange in an even layer. Roast for 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Make the dressing: In a jar, combine the oil, orange juice, balsamic, mustard, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and garlic. Secure the lid and shake to combine.
- Assemble the salad: Place the quinoa, beets, hazelnuts, pomegranate, and parsley in a bowl. Pour the dressing over top and toss to coat.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Salad
Keywords: roasted beet quinoa salad with pomegranate recipe