Flavourful and healthy mole chicken bowls with pineapple avocado salsa and rice are perfect for cozy weeknight dinners. Chicken simmered in a homemade mole sauce consisting of onion, garlic, salt, Mexican spices, chipotles, fire-roasted tomatoes, almonds, dates, and cocoa is the star of these wholesome bowls.
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 cups canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I like Muir Glen brand)
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cooked white rice or quinoa
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Steamed kale or broccoli, or shredded raw red cabbage
- Marinate the chicken: Place the chicken in a bowl or container. Add one tablespoon of the oil, the garlic powder, smoked paprika, lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and set aside for at least fifteen minutes. This step just helps to make the chicken more tender and flavourful.Make the mole sauce: In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about eight minutes. Add the salt, chili powder, cumin, thyme, smoked paprika, coriander, and cloves. Cook two more minutes. Add the cinnamon sticks, chipotles, and fire-roasted diced tomatoes. Simmer over medium-low heat for fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Discard the cinnamon sticks.
- Transfer into a blender and add the toasted almonds, dates, cocoa, and water. Blend until mostly smooth; some texture is okay.
- Return the mole sauce to the pan and add the red wine vinegar. Simmer over low heat while you prep the chicken.
- Cook the chicken: In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for eight minutes, or until cooked through and it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.Transfer the chicken into the mole sauce and keep warm until ready to enjoy.Make the pineapple avocado salsa: In a bowl, combine the pineapple, avocado, cilantro, and red onion. Add a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat.
- Serve: To serve, divide mole chicken, rice, veggies, and pineapple salsa between bowls. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: mole chicken bowls recipe