Wholesome, decadent-tasting healthy chocolate zucchini cupcakes with fudgy date frosting: These are the perfect healthier sweet treat to whip up and enjoy for dessert!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, at room temperature (use 2% milk fat or higher)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1/4 cup milk or almond milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups light spelt flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup grated zucchini
fudgy chocolate date icing
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (must be fresh and soft)
- 1/3 cup almond butter or cashew butter
- 1/4 cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, yogurt, maple syrup, coconut sugar, milk, and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cacao. Mix well until incorporated.
- Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Evenly the batter between the muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Next, make the icing: In a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade, combine the dates, almond butter, cocoa, salt, and vanilla. Process until the dates are broken down into a fine consistency. Add the almond milk and continue to blend until a very smooth consistency is achieved. This will take a couple of minutes.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled fully, frost and top with sprinkles, if desired.
If you can’t find light spelt flour, you may use 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of whole spelt or whole wheat flour instead.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: healthy chocolate zucchini cupcake recipe