Here is an incredible vegan fudgy chocolate date frosting recipe! Sweetened only with dates and whipped up in a food processor with a handful of simple ingredients, this recipe makes enough to frost a 9×13-inch sheet cake generously.
- 2 packed cups pitted Medjool dates (measured after pitting; about 24 large dates; they must be fresh and soft for this recipe to work)
- 2/3 cup smooth cashew butter (if using salted, you may wish to omit the salt)
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Place all ingredients except the milk in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Process until the dates are pulverized and the mixture sticks together.
- Add the milk and continue blending until the mixture is completely smooth. This will take several minutes, but it is worth it to be patient and allow the food processor to work its magic.
- Transfer the frosting into an airtight container if not using the frosting right away, or frost your cake immediately.
- Store any leftover frosting in the refrigerator for at least a week, perhaps longer (though we have always eaten it within a week).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: chocolate date frosting recipe