Say hello to your new favourite Mexican-inspired turkey burgers with chili lime mayo! They’re easy to make, full of flavour, and packed with protein.
For the turkey burgers:
- 1 pound (454 grams) lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Quick-Pickled Red Onion
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, honey, or sugar
Chili Lime Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like avocado oil mayo)
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Brioche buns or your favourite burger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Lettuce or mixed greens
- Sliced cheddar or havarti cheese
- If making the quick-pickled onions, prepare them first: Place the sliced onion in a heatproof 16-ounce glass jar. In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, salt, and maple syrup/honey/sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for two minutes. Pour your pickling liquid into the jar and set aside for 30 minutes. During this time, the onion will “pickle” and turn a beautiful pink colour. The sharp flavour of the onion also mellows in this process.
- Make the turkey burgers: In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, egg, panko, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, barbecue sauce, cilantro, garlic, red onion, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to mix together, but do not over-mix. Note: The mixture will be quite moist! This is normal. Wet your hands and form the mixture into 4-6 patties, depending on how large you would like your burgers.
- Next, cook the burgers: You might have to do this in a couple of batches, depending on the size of your skillet. Warm a couple teaspoons of olive oil or avocado oil over medium heat in a large skillet (I recommend a cast iron skillet for best results). When it shimmers, add the turkey patties to the skillet and cook for five minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F. Having a meat thermometer is great because it prevents you from over-cooking the turkey burgers (a major cause of dry turkey burgers).
- If desired, top the burgers with sliced cheddar or havarti cheese (or your favourite cheese) during the last couple minutes of cooking so that it melts.
- Make the chili lime mayo: This can also be made ahead of time. In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and lime juice until smooth.
- Serve: Serve these burgers on brioche buns with greens, sliced tomato, chili lime mayo, and pickled red onion! I love to serve these with a side salad and some sweet potato fries.
Nutrition information calculated with four turkey burgers, each topped with 1 tablespoon of chili lime mayo, and does not include buns.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican, Southwestern
Keywords: Mexican-Inspired Turkey Burgers Recipe