One skillet Berbere chicken is the ultimate cozy and healthy winter meal.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (I usually use at least 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 20 twists black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cooked white rice or millet, for serving
- Pomegranate arils, olives, feta, cilantro, and pickled onions, for garnish
- Grab your best large, heavy bottomed skillet (I love cast iron for this type of recipe) and add a tablespoon of oil. Warm over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the chicken and sear for 5 minutes per side. Transfer onto a plate. (It’s only partially cooked at this point, but not to worry- it will go back into the skillet to finish cooking afterwards.)
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and warm over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all of the spices together in a small dish. Add the spice mix to the onions, garlic, and red pepper in the skillet. Add the salt and pepper. Stir to coat and cook for two more minutes.
- Next, stir in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Return the chicken to the skillet. Loosely cover with the lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Stir in the honey or kale.
- Garnish with feta, olives, cilantro, pickled onion (optional), and pomegranate.
- Serve over cooked rice or millet.
Nutritional information includes six servings of white rice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: North African
Keywords: one skillet Berbere chicken recipe, spicy one skillet chicken recipe