This beet pesto spaghetti squash with gouda makes a fantastic festive side dish. Roasted spaghetti squash is tossed with beet almond pesto and topped with gouda cheese, then placed in the oven until the cheese melts. It’s a simple, eye-catching dish that’s sure to impress!
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup raw or roasted almonds
- 2 cups diced cooked beets (see note)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup shredded pecorino cheese
- 4 ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- Parsley and hot red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Prepare the spaghetti squash: Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, if desired. Slice the squash in half lengthwise. (Be very careful; spaghetti squash is quite tough to cut through.) Scoop out the seeds and brush the cut sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast, cut sides facing up, for 35-45 minutes, until tender all the way through. Once cooked, drain out any excess water. Use a fork to make strands of “spaghetti” in each squash half. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 F.
- Meanwhile, make the beet pesto: In a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade, grind the almonds into a meal. Add the beets, garlic, lemon, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, pecorino, and hot red pepper flakes. Process until smooth.
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of the beet pesto to each spaghetti squash half and toss to coat. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and additional hot red pepper flakes and enjoy!
For the beets, peel and dice two medium or four small beets. Steam until tender, then measure out 2 cups.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
Keywords: beet pesto spaghetti squash recipe