This divine roasted Brussels sprout and butternut squash salad with pan-fried halloumi, dates, olives, parsley, and orange tahini dressing is the perfect winter salad.
Brussels Sprouts and Squash
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 4 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash or sweet potato (1 inch cubes)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Couple pinches each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4–8 ounces halloumi cheese, sliced (depending on how much cheese you want in your salad)
Orange Tahini Dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
For Assembling the Salad
- 4 pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- Big handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup green or Kalamata olives
- Roast the Brussels sprouts and squash: Preheat the oven to 425 F and line two large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the Brussels sprouts in the centre of one baking sheet and the squash on the other. Sprinkle the Brussels sprouts with half of the thyme, half of the hot red pepper flakes, sliced garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and toss to coat. Spread out in an even layer.
- Place the squash in the centre of the second baking sheet. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Toss to coat and spread out in an even layer.
- Roast the squash for 25 minutes and the Brussels sprouts for 15-20 minutes. Halfway through the Brussels sprouts roasting, stir and return to the oven.
- While the squash and Brussels sprouts are roasting, fry the halloumi: Warm a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the halloumi in a single layer and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Initially, a lot of liquid will come out of the cheese and will steam and foam quite a bit, but it evaporates and then the cheese browns. If it is browning too quickly, turn down heat to medium. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Make the orange tahini dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the oil, tahini, zest and juice of the orange and lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, and honey.
- Assemble the salad: Arrange the Brussels sprouts and squash on a platter. Top with the halloumi, dates, olives, and parsley. Drizzle with the dressing. Enjoy!
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
Keywords: roasted Brussels sprout and squash salad recipe