These bold mole cauliflower tacos feature cauliflower cooked in a flavourful homemade mole sauce containing onion, garlic, Mexican spices, chipotles, tomatoes, almonds, dates, and dark chocolate. Garnish your tacos with mango salsa, avocado yogurt sauce, and cheese for the perfect vegetarian Mexican taco supper!
Cauliflower and Mole Sauce
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds
- 1–2 pitted Medjool dates, to your taste (I used 2)
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (80% or higher)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large ripe mango, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Squeeze of lime juice
Avocado Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1–2 limes (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cotija cheese
- Steam the cauliflower just until just tender, about 3 minutes. Do not over-steam; you just want it to soften slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Make the mole sauce: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Add the salt, chili powder, cumin, thyme, smoked paprika, coriander, and cloves. Cook two minutes more. Next, add the cinnamon sticks, chipotles and adobo sauce, and diced tomatoes. Simmer over medium-low heat for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavours to meld, or longer if you have time. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Remove from the heat. Transfer into an upright blender, along with the toasted almonds, dates(s), and chopped dark chocolate. Blend until smooth and pour back into the skillet. Add the water and red wine vinegar. Add the cauliflower and cook over medium heat until the cauliflower softens to your liking.
- Make the mango salsa: In a bowl, combine the mango, cilantro, red pepper, salt, and lime juice. Stir together.
- Make the avocado yogurt sauce: In a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade, blend together the avocado, yogurt, lime juice, salt, garlic, and cilantro until smooth. Transfer into a jar or container.
- Serve: Warm the tortillas and sprinkle on some cheese so that it melts. Top with the cauliflower, salsa, and crema. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: mole cauliflower taco recipe