This fall harvest one skillet chicken and rice with squash, apple, herbs, and gouda is the perfect healthy dinner that will warm you right up. Even better? It’s all made in one skillet, so prep and clean-up are a breeze!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (organic if possible)
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Sea salt, to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- Pomegranate arils (optional)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Warm the oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes.
- Push the onion, garlic, and celery off to one side. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and sear for five minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Next, add the squash, apple, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and hot red pepper flakes to the skillet. Pour in the wine and apple cider. Simmer for five minutes.
- Add the rice and water. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir. Turn down heat to medium-low and arrange the chicken over top. Cover and cook until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Top the chicken and rice skillet with the pumpkin seeds, shredded gouda, and pomegranate, if using. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts. Ensure that the chicken is cooked through before serving; a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast or thigh should read 165 F and it should no longer be pink inside. (This was not an issue for me, but it’s important to ensure that poultry is properly cooked.)
- Garnish with parsley and serve with bread and butter. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: fall harvest skillet chicken and rice recipe