These maple-sweetened brown butter apple oat flour muffins are the perfect healthy snack, or breakfast. Packed with wholesome ingredients such as oat flour, apple, apple butter, butter, spices, and eggs, and sweetened with maple syrup, they just might become your new favourite muffin!
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple butter (not applesauce)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (cow, goat, or non-dairy), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium honey crisp apple, finely chopped
- Cinnamon sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with paper liners, or lightly grease with butter.
- Brown the butter: Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown, stirring often, until it smells nutty and toasted. This takes anywhere from three to seven minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Make the muffins: Whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, apple butter, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the cooled brown butter and whisk to incorporate. In a medium bowl, stir together the oat flour, cinnamon, cardamom, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk just until combined. Stir in the chopped apple.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if using. Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
You can find apple butter at most well-stocked grocery and natural food stores. I buy Eden Organic brand. You can also make your own. It is much thicker than applesauce, so I would not recommend using applesauce in its place. If you want to try using applesauce, I would reduce the milk amount by 1/4 cup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
Keywords: apple butter oat flour muffin recipe