Get cozy with this chipotle pumpkin beer braised chickpea cheese biscuit pot pie. In this comforting vegetarian meal, a warming stew with chipotles, pumpkin beer, apple cider, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, spices, chickpeas, and winter squash is poured into a baking dish and topped with deliciously simple cheddar cheese spelt biscuits.
Chipotle Pumpkin Beer Braised Chickpea Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 canned chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used 1 teaspoon sea salt)
- 4 heaping cups diced butternut squash
- 1 14-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider (NOT vinegar)
- 16 oz pumpkin beer (or any dark ale)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 honey crisp apple, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Cheddar Spelt Biscuits
- 3/4 cup whole milk mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar OR 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour, plus more as needed (may sub all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Warm the oil in a Dutch oven pot over medium heat. Once warm, add the onion, garlic, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the chipotles, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook for a couple more minutes.
- Next, add the squash, diced tomatoes, broth, apple cider, beer, chickpeas, and apple. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Finally, stir in the maple syrup and cilantro. Remove from the heat and use a potato masher to gently mash some of the chickpeas and butternut squash. This helps to naturally thicken the stew.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Make the biscuits: In a small bowl, combine the milk with the apple cider vinegar and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes to “curdle.” In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, incorporate the butter, breaking it down into tiny pieces. Stir in the real buttermilk or makeshift “buttermilk,” followed by the cheddar cheese. The dough will be on the sticky side. If the dough is extremely sticky, add 1/4 cup more flour.
- Generously flour your counter. Flour your hands as well. Turn out the biscuit dough and flatten into an oval shape about 1/2 an inch thick. Use a round cookie or biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass to cut out 8-12 biscuits, re-forming the dough into an oval shape as needed.
- Transfer the beer braised chickpea and butternut squash stew into a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Top with the biscuits.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve while hot, and top each portion with sliced avocado and lime wedges.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: chipotle pumpkin beer braised chickpea biscuit pot pie recipe