- 4 medium beets, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch each fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Sweet and Spicy Pepitas
- 1/2 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 8 cups chopped kale
- 1 honey crisp apple, thinly sliced
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- 120 grams gouda cheese, cubed
- Roast the beets: Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop the stems off of the beets and slice them into quarters. Arrange the beets in the middle of the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread out in an even layer. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Make the sweet and spicy pepitas: Reduce the oven temperature to 325 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss together the pepitas, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, smoked paprika, and cayenne. Spread out on the baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Make the dressing: In a jar, combine the oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, apple butter, honey, and dijon mustard. Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Make the salad: Place the kale in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the kale and use your hands to “massage” it into the kale. Top with the roasted beets, pepitas, apple, pomegranate, avocado, and gouda. Toss again.
I prefer to leave the skins on my beets when I roast them. They tend to cook better when left intact, and they’re totally edible.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad
Keywords: fall harvest beet apple pomegranate kale salad recipe